|The MAGNA CARTA in lamens terms
• A free English church and freeman rights forever.
• Protection of inheritance.
• Protection for widows.
• No more seizure of land to pay a debt.
• No usury for borrowing from money lenders.
• Cities will keep all their ancient liberties & customs.
• The right to a Common Law court.
• All trials to have a jury of peers.
• A freeman & a villein shall not lose his tools of trade to pay a debt.
• No bailiff can take food from another, but must pay; must not take another’s horse or cart; must not take another’s wood.
• One measure of weight & length to be used in the land.
• To be accused there must be witnesses.
• No man can be punished except by the judgment of his peers & the law of the land.
• No one will sell, refuse or delay, right & justice.
. All freemen to travel without taxes or levys
• All merchants may trade & travel.
• All judiciary to know the law of the land & honour it.
• All unjust fines to be returned.
• All land illegally removed to be returned.
• … that the men in our kingdom have and hold all the aforesaid liberties, rights, and concessions, well and peaceably, freely and quietly, fully and wholly, for themselves and their heirs, of us and our heirs, in all respects and in all places forever, as is aforesaid
Do we still have these rights in place? Aren’t these the very things that are being removed from us now?